Marly’s practice includes all aspects of estate and trust planning, estate administration and estate dispute resolution. Marly focuses on assisting clients in organizing their financial affairs during their lifetime through creative estate planning strategies which balance each client’s unique needs with corresponding estate administration tax and income tax considerations, all while ensuring that each client’s objectives are achieved and optimized. Marly works with clients and their financial advisors, accountants and other professionals to provide customized legal solutions and to generate and implement estate plans and, in the context of estate administration, to achieve a smooth and efficient estate and trust administration.
Marly is currently completing the Diploma Program of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP).
Prior to joining O’Sullivan Estate Lawyers LLP as an associate lawyer, Marly articled and practiced at a mid-sized Toronto law firm where she focused on succession planning for clients, including business succession, estate planning and estate freezes.
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Student Member, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- Member, Junior Trusts and Estates Practitioners
- Chair Emeritus, Save a Child’s Heart Canada Young Professional Board
- Member, Planned Giving Committee of Save a Child’s Heart Canada
- Speaker for the OBA Make a Will Month at the Eglinton Square library on November 12, 2019.
- Canada Chapter – “Private Wealth and Private Client Review 2021” – Margaret O’Sullivan has contributed the Canada Chapter for “Private Wealth and Private Client Review” for more than nine years.
- Leith Wheeler Client Newsletter, “Four Ways of Charitable Giving”, Summer 2021.
- The Lawyer’s Daily, Wills, Trusts & Estates Estate planning around U.S. citizenship: Step one, confirm status, on May 6, 2021. This article was originally published by The Lawyer’s Daily (www.thelawyersdaily.ca), part of LexisNexis Canada Inc.
- Giving Advice, Jewish Foundation of Greater Toronto, “Canadians with European Connections: A Case Study,” Spring 2021.
- Ontario Bar Association Newsletter, Barsoski v Wesley: Case Comment (Uncertain language in a will can have a major impact on the beneficiaries of an estate), March 2021.
- The Lawyer’s Daily, Wills, Trusts & Estates European ‘forced heirship’ in estate planning: A case study, on February 5, 2021. This article was originally published by The Lawyer’s Daily (www.thelawyersdaily.ca), part of LexisNexis Canada Inc.
- The Lawyer’s Daily, Wills, Trusts & Estates Avoiding the tax bill on U.S. securities, on October 8, 2020. This article was originally published by The Lawyer’s Daily (www.thelawyersdaily.ca), part of LexisNexis Canada Inc.
- Lexology, “What are the key tax considerations for private clients in Canada?” co-authored with Margaret O’Sullivan, September 7, 2020. This article was excerpted from the longer version, originally published by The Law Reviews, in 2020.
- OBA Trusts and Estates newsletter, “Zhang Hong Li and others v DBS Bank (Hong Kong) Ltd.: Case Comment”, May 04, 2020.
- Money & Family Law, “Heads up to Cross Border Probate”, Thomson Reuters Canada Limited, December 2019, Issue 34-12, p. 95.
- OBA Trusts and Estates newsletter, “Mutual Wills: How They Are Created and When a Constructive Trust Will be Imposed”, October 07, 2019.