Events and Conferences
Upcoming Events and Conferences
- Wednesday, September 15, 2021
Clients of Foyston, Gordon & Payne Inc., Investment Counsel Private Event
Susannah Roth will present to clients of Foyston, Gordon & Payne on a variety of estate planning topics, with a general focus of generational transfers and passing wealth well.
- Thursday, September 23, 2021
Administration of Estates
Law Society of Ontario (LSO)
Susannah Roth will co-chair a half-day program “Administration of Estates,” a continuing professional development program (CPD) intended for lawyers and organized by the Law Society of Ontario (LSO).Stephanie Battista, of O’Sullivan Estate Lawyers, will speak on “Jointly Held Assets.”
- Friday, September 24, 2021
Margaret O’Sullivan will present “Powers of Attorney: The Hurdles Associated With the Practical Use of a Power of Attorney in Today’s World” at the Elder Law Online Symposium, organized by the Canadian Bar Association (CBA).
- Thursday, October 21, 2021
Estates and Trusts Summit
Law Society of Ontario (LSO)
Susannah Roth will speak on “Exercising a Custody and Guardianship Clause in a Will” with a focus on guardianship of property appointments for minor children, at the 24th Estates and Trusts Summit, a 2-day conference organized by the Law Society of Ontario (LSO).
- Tuesday, November 9 & Wednesday, November 10, 2021
Margaret will speak on “Cross-border Estate Planning Considerations” on November 9, at the Institute Across Borders: Legal Issues and Best Practices for Ontario Lawyers Around the World, organized by the Ontario Bar Association (OBA).
- Wednesday, February 9 – Friday, February 11, 2022
Margaret O’Sullivan has been invited to be both a Member of the Advisory Board and a Presenter at the Private Client Forum Americas, in Mayakoba, Mexico.
Past Events and Conferences
Wednesday, June 2, 2021
Margaret O’Sullivan designed and moderated an international webinar titled “Civil Law and Common Law: A Comparison of Estate Administration on Death” on Wednesday, June 2, 2021. This event was hosted by the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) Worldwide, for lawyers practising in Estates and Trusts Law internationally.
- Tuesday, March 2, 2021
International Planning Committee
American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC)
Wednesday, February 10, 2021
Global Elite panel, invitation-only event.
Margaret O’Sullivan spoke at the Global Elite panel on February 10th, 2021. The panel discussed the pandemic’s impact on the perception of wealth, and shone a spotlight on the topic of a wealth tax (or its lack thereof) across several jurisdictions. Margaret was representing Canada; other panelists were from UK, Italy, Spain, and Switzerland.
Wednesday, February 3 and Thursday, February 4, 2021, virtual event
Annual Institute Series, Ontario Bar Association (OBA)
Toronto estate lawyer Susannah Roth spoke on the topic of “Business Succession Part 2:
Critical Issues in Implementation and Administration” at the conference titled “SERVING THE FAMILY: Critical Insights on the Issues Impacting Families in Corporate, Estates and Family Law,” part of the Annual Institute Series, now it its 46thyear, organized by the Ontario Bar Association (OBA).
- Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 16:30 GMT (11:30am EST)
STEP Worldwide Special Interest Group (SIG) Spotlight Week (paid registration required)
Live webcast: “A Comparative Review of the Use of Will Substitutes.”
Margaret O’Sullivan will moderate this session which will include panelists Lionel Smith, law professor at McGill University (expert in common law, estate planning and trusts), and Dr. Gregor Christandl, LL.M. (Yale), associate professor at the University of Innsbruck (expert in civil law and estate planning). The live webcast is part of STEP (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners) Worldwide Spotlight Sessions.More information: STEP Worldwide
- Monday, November 9, 2020, virtual event
The LIFE Institute
Susannah Roth will present on estate planning to about 50 members of The LIFE Institute. The LIFE Institute delivers high quality educational programs for older adults covering a wide variety of subjects in the Arts, Humanities, Sciences, Technology and Contemporary Issues. The LIFE Institute is an affiliate of the Chang School of Continuing Education at Ryerson University.
More information: The LIFE Institute
- Tuesday, October 27, 2020, virtual event (paid registration required)
STEP Canada 2020 Speaker Series
“Incapacity at Home and Abroad: Jurisdictional Challenges”
Margaret O’Sullivan will be one of three panelists who will explore the challenges that can arise from the perspective of both civil-law jurisdictions, such as France, Portugal, and Mexico, and common-law jurisdictions, such as Florida, California, and Arizona.
More information: STEP Canada
- LIVE WEBINAR: It’s Complicated: Solutions for Planning and Administering an Estate with Foreign ConnectionsWednesday, September 23, 2020
10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. EDT
- Margaret attended American College of Trust and Estate Counsel Annual Meeting in Boca Raton, Florida on March 4 -8, 2020.
- Margaret spoke at Global Legal Week Private Client Forum Americas Forum to be held in in Riviera Maya, Mexico on February 5-7, 2020
- Susannah spoke at the Senior Estate & Trust Practitioners’ Forum, Cambridge, Ontario on November 4, 2019 “Cross-Border Problems, You Know You Got ‘Em”, and on November 5, 2019 “Predator and Prey: When an Estate Planner Become a Meal for a Hungry Litigator”
- Margaret spoke at the OBA Trusts & Estates Section Program on November 11, 2019 on a panel of senior estate planning lawyers to discuss best practices in the area of estate planning
- Marly spoke at the OBA Make a Will Month at the Eglinton Square library on November 12, 2019.
- Margaret spoke at the STEP Cross-Border Estates program “Multiple Taxation on Death”, London, U.K. on November 22, 2019
- O’Sullivan Estate Lawyers hosted a webinar on the topic Protecting a Child’s Inheritance on October 24, 2019. View the webinar and presentation slides
- O’Sullivan Estate Lawyers has been named a winner for the award of Boutique Firm of the Year for the 2019/20 STEP Private Client Awards was held in London U.K. on September 25, 2019 where Margaret and Susannah attended.
- Susannah is presented at the OBA Elder Law Passport Series on Capacity: Client Capacity in a Legal Retainer on September 18, 2019
- O’Sullivan Estate Lawyers were Gold Sponsors at the 2019 STEP Canada Conference on June 6-7, 2019
- Susannah presented at Manulife’s Tax & Estate Planning team’s technical session on June 4, 2019
- Margaret attended the annual conference of the International Academy of Estate and Trust Law, May 20-23, 2019 in Tokyo, Japan
- Margaret spoke on current Canadian estate planning issues at the STEP International Tax and Estate Planning Forum: Around the Globe in Laguna Beach, CA on May 9-10, 2019
- Margaret spoke on current Canadian estate planning issues at Global Legal Week Private Client Forum Americas 2019 at Newport Beach, CA, on March 27-29, 2019
- Susannah spoke at the Professional Accountants PD Network on February 5, 2019 on executor and trustee responsibilities and compensation
- Susannah co-chaired The Annotated Will 2019 program at the Law Society of Ontario on January 16, 2019
- Susannah attended the Estates & Trusts Practitioners’ Forum on November 4 – 6, 2018
- Margaret attended the Senior Trust and Estate Practitioners’ Forum on October 14-16, 2018
- Susannah spoke on Estate Administration Issues Arising in Challenging Situations at the Estates and Trusts Summit for the Law Society of Ontario on October 11, 2018
- Margaret spoke at an estate planning seminar at Pal Insurance on October 11, 2018
- Susannah spoke at STEP Toronto on Dealing with Challenges in Will and Trust Administration on October 10, 2018
- Susannah attended the STEP Global Congress in Vancouver on September 13-14, 2018.
- Margaret was the Chair of the Program Committee and chaired the 2018 STEP Global Congress in Vancouver on September 13-14, 2018
- Susannah spoke at The South Leaside Group on June 4, 2018
- Margaret spoke on choice of law issues in succession matters at the STEP Canada Annual Conference on May 29, 2018
- Susannah spoke on Estate Planning and Update on the Land Transfer Tax in Ontario at the 2018 STEP Canada Annual Conference in Toronto on May 29, 2018
- Margaret spoke on family wealth transfers at BloombergSen Women’s event on May 1, 2018
- Margaret spoke on estate planning at Georgian Triangle Lifelong Learning on April 20, 2018
- Susannah spoke on Estate and Tax Planning for Canadians with U.S. Connections at Manulife on March 28, 2018
- Margaret attended the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel Annual Meeting in San Antonio, Texas on March 8 – 11, 2018
- Susannah presented at STEP Toronto Program: Legal & Case Law Update on January 17, 2018
- Susannah co-chaired the Law Society of Ontario Annotated Will program on January 15, 2018
- Margaret co-planned the program and spoke at STEP Cross-Border Estates– Mental & Incapacity Sessions in London, U.K. on November 30, 2017 on incapacity planning across borders
- Margaret spoke at an Estate Planning Breakfast Workshop at Pal Insurance on November 14, 2017
- Susannah attended the Estate and Trusts Practitioner’s Forum on November 5-7, 2017
- Margaret attended the Fall Meeting of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Nashville, October 12-22, 2017
- Margaret spoke on Technology and Private Client Practice at the Cidel Provence Estate Planning Conference, September 5-14, 2017
- Margaret spoke at the 2017 STEP Canada National Conference on “Discretionary Trusts – Practical Concerns”, Toronto, June 12 – 13, 2017
- O’Sullivan Estate Lawyers spoke on Canada-U.S. Cross Border Estate Planning Issues, National Bank Toronto, June 7, 2017
- Susannah spoke at a CIBC Trust Seminar on appointing a U.S. resident/citizen as an executor or trustee and special issues for Canadian executors of estates with U.S. assets, Toronto, May 30, 2017
- Susannah spoke at the Ontario Bar Association seminar on Real Property in the Trusts and Estates Context, Toronto, April 25, 2017
- Margaret spoke on a panel at STEP Toronto, “Estate Planning for Global Families“, Toronto, April 12, 2017
- Margaret spoke at Private Client Forum Americas, “Technologic: Technological Liberation and the Transparency of Trust”, Mayan Riviera, Mexico, February 15-17, 2017
- Margaret spoke at Gluskin Sheff + Associates Inc., Private Client Lunch Seminar, February 9, 2017
- Susannah co-chaired the Law Society of Ontario, The Annotated Will 2017, Toronto, January 12, 2017
- Margaret spoke at the 2016 CBA Wills, Estates and Trusts Fundamentals for Estate Practitioners program on “Conflicts of Laws”, Toronto, October 26, 2016
- Margaret spoke at the Canadian Tax Foundation, 2016 Ontario Tax Conference on “Multijurisdictional Estate Planning”, Toronto, October 25, 2016
- Margaret spoke at the Law Society of Ontario Practice Gems: The Administration of Estates program, “Issues Arising Where There Are Foreign Beneficiaries or Legal Representatives of an Estate”, Toronto, September 20, 2016
- Margaret spoke at the 2016 STEP Canada National Conference on a panel “The Impact of the European Regulation on Succession in Canada”, Toronto, June 10, 2016
- Margaret spoke at the Osgoode Professional Development, Certificate in Elder Law program, “Advance Care Planning / Drafting Powers of Attorney for Personal Care and Interpreting Powers of Attorney for Personal Care – Views from Both Sides”, Toronto, May 10, 2016
- Susannah spoke at the Commons Institute webcast program: Advanced Topics in Wills and Estates Law 2016, Toronto, February 11, 2016