Charitable Giving and Private Foundations
Solutions in Charitable Giving and Private Foundations
Donating to charities is an important and valuable undertaking that is also very complex. If you wish to donate part of your estate to a charity upon death, it makes sense to seek advice from an experienced estate planning lawyer.
At the Toronto, Ontario, law firm of O’Sullivan Estate Lawyers LLP, firm founder Margaret O’Sullivan has provided clients with estate and will planning and probate advice exclusively since 1983. Along with her, our team of lawyers provides strategic advice in charitable planning.
Detailed Assessments of Your Goals and Options
We can walk you through the numerous potential options and legal steps involved in charitable giving in your estate planning, including:
- Identifying your charitable objectives
- Assessing your financial and personal circumstances and identifying assets that can be gifted to charity
- Assessing legitimate legal obligations to others, such as dependants’ needs that may supersede your wish to make a charitable gift
- Enhancing tax savings
- Preparing your will or other legal instrument to include charitable gifts or charitable trusts
- Establishing a private foundation as part of your estate plan
Uncovering Optimal Solutions for Your Estate
We can discuss your unique situation to provide optimum, tailored services and results. For instance, designating a charity as the beneficiary of proceeds of a life insurance policy or a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) can be tax-effective. Trusts can control funds during your lifetime, then pass wealth to a charity upon death. A private charitable foundation may be appropriate as a means to rationalize charitable giving and offers many other benefits.
We can advise you regarding the gifting of cash, marketable securities, employee stock options, artwork, real property, life insurance proceeds and other forms of wealth, including under your will.
Contact Us to Discuss Your Charitable Planning Needs
For more information about the Ontario charitable planning lawyers of O’Sullivan Estate Lawyers LLP, contact our Toronto estate law firm.